quinta-feira, 21 de abril de 2011

Expose to Jesus

student ministry outreach and evangelism
The following article was written by Katelyn, a student living and sharing her faith in her mid-west school.
Over the summer of last year, I went to a Christian bookstore in Kansas, and picked up and bought the book, ‘Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations’ . I’ve read most of it, and then for some reason, I quit reading it, but a few weeks ago, I picked it up again and saw I only had a few chapters left to read. I read them, finished it last week, and found myself wondering “Why did I stop reading it?” Although I’m not sure what the answer to that is, I am sure that I’m writing this for a reason.
I was asked by Brian if I’d be interested in writing an article on sharing my faith as a teenager… and all the struggles, obstacles and successes that happen to us all… teen or not, sharing your faith isn’t exactly the easiest thing we’ve ever done… but it is worth it. I remember, my freshman year of high school, and I tried to get some people (3) together and do a campus ministry thing… or something. Well, to be honest, I wasn’t even the slightest bit ready for anything like that. I had no idea what I was doing, how I was doing it, or even why I was even doing it. I guess I was just doing it, because I thought it was the right “Christian” thing to do. Oh yeah, did I mention this was before I even started writing and actually began to get why even doing a campus ministry was important and that not sharing Jesus with our peers is very costly?
At the time, the name for the campus ministry seemed just about the only thing that I was worried about. Now, I could care less, I just want to see my friends, my family, my peers at school and the strangers I see out on the street all come to know Christ and then do the exact same thing with their friends, family… etc. As far as I am concerned, sharing Jesus with someone is the greatest, most risky thing ever.
I know a lot of teenagers, including myself, really do not like putting our relationships with friends, family members, boyfriends/girlfriends at risk. According to a teen, relationships seem to be what means most to them. I love my relationships, but I love my friends and all those other people too much to let them go to hell without being prayed for and hearing about Jesus. Therefore, I’m willing to put those relationships at risk when I share Jesus with them.
And, as I look back on freshman year, I see that God used that bad CM attempt to teach me something important. I am now more aware that if people don’t hear about this Jesus we all talk about as soon as possible, we’ll be in trouble for not doing what Jesus has called us to do.
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. ” – Matthew 28:19-20
As I begin to think about it, and look back on it, I’m worried that I’ll let myself fall back and start to worry about how bad the campus ministry name is, and wanting to change it so bad. Why worry about a CM name, when people are dying constantly without the love and the hope and the purpose that I have found in Jesus and in Him alone?
I don’t care about the name; I just want to reach those students at my high school no matter what it takes. If there’s a will, there’s a way. I know that not all of the 1,000 + students there, will not all accept Jesus and will make fun of those who dared to share the greatest message of all time. I know that we’ll get labeled un-cool, and could fail, but I know why I’m doing this. I love them way too much to let them go to hell without being prayed for and hearing about Jesus. It’s too costly not to risk so much as a relationship with them… prayerfully in the long run; maybe they’ll appreciate you for being so willing to share such a powerful, life-changing message with them.
Just like what Penn (of Penn & Teller) said, if you really do believe in God and heaven and hell, then how much do you have to hate someone to not share Jesus with them? It’s not stated word for word, only because the word he used, was way too confusing… and I like to just keep it stupidly simple.
I’m going to give you a challenge, I’m praying you’ll be up for it as well, I triple dog dare you to share Jesus with 3 people this week. One friend. One family member. and one stranger. Are you ready to expose people to Jesus? Do it!

Are you ready?

God Bless You!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário